Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Platteville, Wi Tornado 6/16/2014


One thing life has taught me lately is that the biggest thing that matters to me, is that my family is safe and sound.

On June 16, 2014 that safe and sound feeling was put to the test. I was laying in bed with my dog, just typing away on the computer, when all the power went off. It felt eerie. It was storming but the sky was doing something I had never seen before. It was almost like a strobe light, just flashing on and off really quickly. I just kept staring out my window thinking, is someone shining a light in the sky, is this real?

Then my dog got all weird and started trying to stand on me and roll on me. I got a weird head pressure and knew what this was. I have been in or on the outskirts of other tornados before. But why weren't any tornado warning sirens going off? I'm still not sure the answer to this.

At about 10:56 pm, my son called me on Monday night. He was freaking out saying, "Mom, I'm  can't see anything, what should I do?"  I asked where he was and he said he has just pulled out of McDonalds. I could hear loud bangs and the sky was flashing and it made me panic inside to know that he was driving in this! I told him to just pull the car over and go inside somewhere. He said, he couldn't because he couldn't see anything and everything looked closed because there were no lights on. Then he got back on the phone and said, "Mom, my car is at Dunkin Donuts and I don't even know how I got here! I had my foot on the brake. A stop light just went through my car window in the back."  After a minute of him yelling and loud noises and panicking wondering what was going on, I heard a police officer shouting at him to leave, to go home or go to the police station but he couldn't stay there.

So we stayed on the phone and he drove to my house. I can't imagine what he had been feeling. We had no idea that he had just been in the heart of a tornado. As a mom, I was panicking of course and feeling very helpless. He was saying what should I do?? And I couldn't do anything to help!

His car got moved about four blocks, from McDonalds to Dunkin Donuts and ended up facing in the opposite direction that he had been driving in.

He got here and his back window and driver's side back window were smashed out. His car was full of glass, leaves and debris. We found car parts from other cars and other people's garbage inside his car the next morning! The front seat he was sitting in had braches, leaves and glass. He was soo lucky to be ok. He was covered in glass and bleeding a bit, but just superficial cuts. We had no power so no lights, when I shown my phone on him to see if any glass cut him bad, it was like glitter. He was just covered in little shards of glass. He brought in his McDonald's drink and the top of it was covered in glass too.

In the meantime while this was going on, I was texting both of my daughter's frantically. My youngest daughter was home and safe but leaving to go to the Wisconsin Dells. I pleased with her to wait until the storm passed! Then my son reminded me that my oldest daughter was camping with her new baby and boyfriend, OMG. Seriously went into a panic attack at this point. Matthew and I both started trying to call Brittany and Marcus's phone. No answer. OMG. There was nothing we could do but sit and wait.

Matt and I walked to the police station and they were busy as hell so just took down our name and number. Now all there was to do was to sit and wait for Brittany to call.

The next morning Brittany finally called. She had been camping and said the winds just came and blew the tent stakes right out of the ground. The rain started pouring in on them. She hovered over my grandaughter to shelter her from the rain as her boyfriend frantically tried to get the stakes back in the ground. The tent was filling up with water so they just made a run for it back to the truck, where they spent the night. Noone's phones had any bars out where they were to call anyone. They spent the night cold and wet in the truck.

Here are the pictures of Matt's car, the downtown area and the cemetary. I will put links to other websites that have pictures to.

The Platteville Journal

University of Wisconsin-Platteville

2 Tornados Confirmed in Platteville













































































































































































































1 comment:

  1. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can do

    ReplyDelete